Monday, December 29, 2008

Bloomsbury Bistro Review

Sorry, long time no post. But lucky readers get a two-fer! First up, Bloomsbury Bistro. My husband and I went to Bloomsbury Bistro a few weeks back. This will mark the 3rd time we've eaten there. Since they have a seasonal menu, everytime we go back, there's something new to try.


For the appetizer course, I had the butternut squash bisque with granny smith apples and blue cheese crumbles. The bisque was excellent. The cheese was an excellent compliment to the tartness of the apples. And one of my favorite foods this time of year is butternut, so it's a win-win for me!


My husband had the winter ragout with venison, cremini mushrooms, roasted tomatoes, pumpkin gnocchi, and glazed chestnuts. Aside from the fact that he doesn't like mushrooms, he said the dish was very good. (He did pick around the mushrooms.)



For the main course, Josh had the beef short ribs over sauteed spinach and red cabbage with apples. The dish looked delish and it was cooked perfectly. Josh throughly enjoyed it. In fact he enjoyed it so much that he practically licked the bowl.



For my main course, I chose the chef's special: Pistachio-crusted red snapper. Sadly, I was not a fan. It reminded me too much of those frozen fish sticks. The salad underneath was tasty, but I didn't eat the fish.



However, the dessert course was wonderful. We decided to share the sampler. There was a toffee pudding, vanilla ice cream over a pistachio cookie, and a death-by-chocolate brownie with chocolate syrup. I wasn't a fan of the toffee pudding, but the rest of the dessert course was great.



Overall, I was disappointed with the entree, but the dessert and appetizer courses were good. I will have to give this meal a C+. However, I will say that all the other meals I've had here were wonderful. So I will definately give Bloomsbury another chance.

Tomorrow I will post my review of Flemings.


2 comments:

LoraBB said...

What's your best method for grabbing photos while dining? I'm trying to add some restaurant reviews since we've been trying some new places but feel goofy with the camera!

NCHokieGal said...

i usually just whip out my camera when the dishes come out. i've had a couple of weird looks every once and while, but i just tell them i'm writing a review and they don't question :)

the lighting in most restaurants is pretty tricky though since most restaurants keep it pretty dark.